Do You Need To Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Ventura?
In many ways, smart components like security cameras and video doorbells have boosted our home security. We have the ability to get alerts when a visitor arrives at our front steps, and we may even have footage delivered to us when suspicious activity is happening. Having devices we can access via the internet advises us to potential risks immediately. But there is one primary disadvantage. The quick access that benefits us is also cracking a door open for hackers.
Although you don’t need to lay awake at night worrying about smart home hacking in Ventura, you should be aware of the potential safety issue and implement a plan to circumvent it.
Methods To Protect Yourself From Smart Home Hacking
It’s amazing how the internet has changed our everyday lives as seemingly everything is accessible online, including your security components, smart televisions, and even your oven. The drawback is that this creates more pathways for cyber criminals to break into your network. With that being said, you don’t have to avoid wireless home defense systems or other smart components. Alternatively, consider these tips and take steps to keep prowlers away from your network.
- Create hard-to-crack passwords: This is a necessity for any account, and that includes your wireless configuration. Use lower and upper casing and a mix of numbers, letters, and special characters. Avoid birthdays, street names, or other things hackers could easily figure out. A password creator will supply you with something absolutely random and a password management tool can assist you in tracking your different passwords and accounts.
- Update default settings: When setting up that new router, it will probably come with a preset password to get you started. Adjust it immediately. Hackers will have these default passwords too. Establishing your wireless network and new router correctly at the start will go a long way to keeping you protected.
- Consider separate networks: Why include your smart fridge, your security devices, and your work laptop on the same network? Most routers permit you to initiate a separate guest network. Take advantage of it and safeguard private material found on your phone, desktop, and laptop.
- Consider installing a firewall: Firewalls aren’t only for commercial networks. They might also be integrated with your home network. Firewalls can keep an eye on what’s happening on your network and block questionable activity. You could start with a router including an incorporated firewall.
- Use the latest encryption standards and security protocols: If you’re using a newer router, you will likely have the chance to incorporate WPA3, the latest wireless security protocol. If that’s not available, WPA2 with AES encryption is still a good choice. You need to look for home security devices that feature 128-bit or higher.
- Ensure firmware and software is up-to-date: Keep your firmware and software at the latest levels for all equipment, including your networked surveillance units. In some cases, these updates will fix vulnerabilities and bolster your network security.
Beware of Cheap Smart Home Equipment In Ventura
When you work with a respected company like ADT, you’ll find that any security susceptibilities in surveillance systems or other devices are addressed in a quick and expert fashion. Other lesser-known products might not be quite as diligent. Buying your video cameras, smart thermostat, video doorbell, and other components from a single supplier like ADT is a wise choice. And having all of your equipment hooked up at once will go a long way to ensuring flawless configuration, security, and performance. It’s also good to know that ADT Command, the hub of your security system, utilizes two-way encryption when engaging with with your smart components.
Request Your Own Ventura Wireless Home Security Package
As you now have a greater understanding on how to keep your home network safe from cyber criminals, you’re ready to start on your own smart home security system in Ventura. The security professionals at Secure24 Alarm Systems will help you customize the ideal package for your family. Dial (805) 292-2582 or fill out the form to take your protection to a new level.